Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Extending Grace in the Workplace

If you know me personally or talk to me much at all you know that there have been problems with a certain co-worker for several month's now.  I don't want to go into a lot of detail about the whole ordeal for the sake of professionalism (I can be professional at times believe it or not!) but I am torn about how to deal with the situation at times.

I know Christ says to forgive someone not 7 times, but 70 times 7.  Now, I don't think that Jesus literally means we should forgive someone 490 times, but I think he means we should forgive someone continually.  That being said, I wonder how many times I should forgive my co-worker at work, and how I should handle/react to the situation going on.

In a nutshell, there have been several instances since November where she has gone for a week or more not showing up for work.  Sometimes she calls in, sometimes she does not.  Also since November, her job performance has consistently declined to the point of neither customers nor co-workers want to work with her.

I am angry, I am frustrated, I am even livid at times that this person not only gets more hours than me and is paid more than me, but she has not yet been fired!!!

I know that as a Christian, I should love unconditionally and sacrificially, and that I should forgive as I have been forgiven, but seriously, when is enough enough?  I should probably mention that if this girl is fired/quits, I have a very good chance of getting her job, so that is, admittedly, another reason I am so frustrated - that I could and would do her job better than she does, but is it okay that I am as angry and frustrated as I am?

Grrrr.........

2 comments:

  1. That's a good question. Just a few thoughts...

    1) Did Jesus say to forgive only other believers 7 times 70 times, or everyone?

    2) What happens during this process of forgiveness? What does it entail? You don't want to come across that you are encouraging a persons actions if they indeed are hurtful.

    3)So what does the forgiveness process look like for a repeat offender that likely is (A.) not a Christian? (B.) For a Christian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do always have questions to pick everything apart don't you Jason? haha ;)

    1.) I would think that Jesus was referring to everyone in this, not only fellow believers, but I could be wrong on this. Just my initial thoughts...

    2.) In this instance, I would say it does not change the process very much. Actually coming across as hurtful or enabling is kinda what I'm worried about.

    3.) As I said earlier, I don't think being a believer or a non-believer will make much of a difference in forgiveness, but what about a repeat offender who's taking advantage of the system (metaphorically) and has no sign of being remorseful?

    ReplyDelete