Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Questions...

I've always been afraid to ask questions unless I was very confident in the subject I was asking about, and knew that the question would not be a "stupid question".  I'm not really sure why that is, but even in Sunday School when I was in early elementary school, the Sunday School teacher would use words like "salvation" and I had no idea what it meant, but felt like I should know, so I didn't ask.  As time went on, especially in matters of the church and theology, if I come across something I don't know what it is, I'm afraid to ask because there's a little voice in my head (Guess who it may be! ;)) that tells me "you've grown up in the church, you should know exactly what that is..."  So, out of fear of seeming stupid or uninformed, if I don't know what something is, it often stays that way.

I am hoping that this will change however. 
Like I said earlier, I have grown up in the church, been a Christian all my life, but it seems that over the last few month's, something different has been happening.  I'm reading the same Bible passages I've read my whole life, that were dry stale, and I thought that I could get nothing more out of them, are becoming full, alive, and full of depth as if I'm reading them for the first time in my life!  I'm not really sure why this is exactly, but I think it has something to do with my own attitude change, having more knowledge of history and interpretation issues and methods, and also, probably most importantly, my being open to the Holy Spirit.  Or God revealing to me what the scriptures might mean for the first time.  I don't know, but I'm not complaining!


Anyway, I'm trying to get over my fear of asking questions.  I've already come a long way from where I used to be, but there are still many questions in my head that go unasked.  I have a few questions in my head now, that I have a feeling could quickly be answered by myself with some reading, but I'm going to post them on here just so I can get thoughts from other people.  Hopefully they will spark some conversation.  So, here they are:

  • What is sanctification and how is it different from justification?
    • In that case, what exactly is justification?
  • What is despensationalism?
  • What is Theonomy?
  • What are the three uses of the law?  (I've heard the answer to this one before, but I don't remember)
While driving home from work, listening to White Horse Inn and I had several more questions, but I wasn't able to write them down.  I'm sure as I listen to the podcasts again (I usually have to listen to them twice to really capture everything they're saying) I'll remember what my questions were and write them down, then maybe, blog those questions too.

5 comments:

  1. Hey that's great! I can relate to being young and afraid to ask questions in fear of what others may think had an easy or well known answer. This only inhibits the learning process, which is why everyone always liked the student that always asked questions, even the more obvious ones, because everyone else was too afraid to ask it themselves!

    We have to break out of the non-question asking modes that many grow up with due to fear, lack of caring, etc.

    Some grow up in the church feeling that they can never ask questions, but that they must just listen and believe! This can create confusion on what Christian theology really is (and I suppose could vary depending on your denomination, who you listen to for truth, and study and research, etc.).

    Theonomy? I've never heard that before, sounds made up ;). I don't have anything to post (at least as of now) for those bullet points.

    Good to hear that things are 'coming alive'! The thing I get stuck in (currently) is being only intellectual about these matters and not really feeling transformed in mind, thought, and action in a living, breathing relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    Here's my stab at these questions:

    Justification = Being declared righteous in God's sight for the sake of Christ. Our sins are credited to Christ and His righteousness is credited to us.

    Sanctification = the Holy Spirit working in us (through the Word) to produce fruit in our lives. It flows from justification.

    Dispensationalism = a system of theology that sees all of history as being broken down into any number of "dispensations" (usually seven) in which God deals with people in different ways. It basically comes from interpreting NT passages in light of OT passages instead of vice versa. It assumes that God has a plan for national Israel that is different from the church. It leads to such doctrines as the pre-tribulation Rapture. It's a pretty recent doctrine in church history, only dating from the 19th century.

    Theonomy - Not too familiar with this one either...

    The three uses of the Law:
    1) First use of the Law - basically as a curb to evil in society.
    2) Second use of the Law - to show us our sin and to drive us to Christ.
    3) Third use of the Law - to show us what a good work is (only for Christians).

    Hope this helps! Keep the questions coming...it's the only way to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some good explanations Dawn.

    When reading through the three (3) uses of the law, the first one brought many additional thoughts and questions to my mind, of which stem from previous conversations I have had and heard.

    "1) First use of the Law - basically as a curb to evil in society."

    How should Christians interact with that statement in regards to non-Christians? Does the law ITSELF curb evil? Are Christians supposed to be an active part in that process of law curbing evil? Or do we let it do its work (whatever that may mean :) ).

    Of course we could say that the law in that sense was written on each man's heart and so their conscious is the thing that is curbing evil to some effect. Perhaps then, that first use is merely an observation of what is already occurring in people? Or is it an active process to engage in?

    QUESTION: Should Christians use the law to guide the general population such as in government and law, education, etc? Should non-Christians be held to the same standards that Christians are called to? Example, gay rights. Should a Christian stand up against gay rights/marriage? Or is that not something non-Christians can be held to (assuming those engaging in homosexual behavior are non-Christians in my example)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jason,

    The first use of the Law is not so much a Christian vs. non-Christian sort of thing...all societies have laws of one sort or another, since the Law is written on everyone's heart to some extent (Romans 2:14-16). People will obey the Law at least to avoid negative consequences. So in this sense it is a curb to evil in society. However, only the Gospel can change people's hearts. The Law only kills, it doesn't make alive. This is why trying to enact laws to enforce Biblical morality is like putting a band-aid on an amputated limb. Not to say that we shouldn't support such laws if they are put forward but that they are not the ultimate answer to the problem of sin - only the Gospel is.

    This is why I think a focus on culture war issues among Christians is the wrong focus. Even if we were to somehow enact laws outlawing gay marriage or abortion it might only create outward obedience, if that. Even if a non-Christian is "held to" these sorts of standards, it's safe to say that everyone - Christian and non-Christian - falls short of God's perfect standard. That's why we need the Gospel that Christ, who perfectly kept the Law of God, died for sinners like you and me.

    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys, thanks so much for your thoughts! They've really helped!

    Dawn, thanks for explaining and breaking down some of the questions I had as well as some of Jason's.

    Jason, thanks for expanding and elaborating (or forcing Dawn to elaborate) on the law and issues with it!

    ReplyDelete